Nov 9, 2010

Razors: The Good and The Bad

If you're at all like me then you've spent countless dollars on shave foams, creams, gels, cartridges, disposable razors of every brand and even those new fangled electric razors and still you aren't getting the close shave you're after.

If you're all at like me then you've probably decided that shaving is a waste of time and going "au natural" is the way to go......Okay, maybe I'm not there yet but, less be honest, if I still have to shave every day without ever having smooth skin, I'm starting a shaving strike. (Sorry Allan.....)

I purchased three razors (two women's and one men's), thinking one of them was bound to give a close shave. First, the Gillette Venus Embrace, secondly, the Schick Intuition Plus and thirdly, the Gillette Fusion ProGlide. After purchasing, I decided to use each razor for two weeks and track the results. Here's the scoop.....
Week 1 - 2: The Venus Embrace
You can definitely tell the razor is marketed for women. Not only are the colors pretty BUT it comes with a handy-dandy suction cup holder. Perfect if you shave in the shower!! Having said that, first thing I noticed was the handle. It fits perfectly in the palm of my hand, all the while making it easy to shave with. Unfortunately, the praise ends here. The head of the razor is angled oddly which makes shaving your under arms VERY difficult. (It seemed to leave little hairs behind.) Shaving my legs was fine, especially along my knees but stubble was still there even after I thoroughly shaved. All in all, I give this razor a 6 out of 10.

Week 2 - 4: Schick Intuition Plus
Man, I wanted to love this razor, I really did. It was such a great idea to have a nice smelling moisture bar surrounding the razor thus making shaving a breeze. Unfortunately, this razor fell very flat and I mean this literally as I went through an entire moisture bar in less than a week. Seriously, now I know that we are supposed to change a blade every week but seriously, I lost the entire moisture bar portion before the blade was even dull. Very irritating. Another thing, the handle was abnormally large which made shaving a nightmare. All in all, Schick failed for me and I give this razor a 3 out of ten.
Week 4 - 6: Gillette Fusion ProGlide
I love this razor. Yes, it men's and yes, it doesn't come in girly prints or colors, but man, does it ever give a close shave. The handle is very thin, which can sometimes make under arm shaving a little awkward, but I have never had legs that felt this smooth before. However, because it uses a thinner blade, it does get dull a tad quicker than its competitors BUT, that aside, it did give me the close shave I was after. All in all, I give this razor a 9 out of 10 and will be continuing my romance with this bad boy.

**Quick tip: I am prone to razor bumps in my arm pits. They are the most unsightly thing ever if you're wearing anything without sleeves. My miracle in a bottle is Vaseline Cocoa Butter Vitalizing Gel Body Oil. I shave my under arms in the evening, rub some of this on immediately after and wake up to razor burn-free skin. Not only that but it enables me to shave less often since the hair doesn't grow back as quickly. Honestly, try this product out. It's fabulous.

Tell me what you're using? Does it work? I am always open to trying something new.....

2 comments:

  1. I have to shave while sitting on the edge of the bathtub or in the bath because I have to wear my glasses, I'm blind in the shower without them. So with that said, I take a long time with lots of cream. Haven't really had a preference on the razor though, I don't use them for very long anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Bronwen. Yes, saving is not really my favorite thing either and I NEVER shave in the shower unless I am extremely pressed for time. Having said that, I am eager to hear your preference on razors one day...!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!...XO Christina


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.